[racket] What is "inferred package scope"? [was: raco pkg install/remove problem]

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 09:43:00 EDT 2013

I've been meaning to ask a dumb question.

The term "package scope" is defined as one of "user", "installation",
or "shared", here:

http://docs.racket-lang.org/pkg/Package_Concepts.html?q=scope#%28tech._package._scope%29

But:

1. What is the "inferred" bit?

2. Why do `raco pkg` messages about "inferred package scope" show a
path, and not "user", "installation", or "shared'?

3. Is this information that a casual user of `raco pkg` needs to
know/understand?
- If so, is there an alternative or additional way to phrase the
message that might be more meaningful to a casual user?
- If not, should the message be omitted or `--verbose`d?