[racket] Notation section for reference (from "How to read procedure documentation?")

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 20 17:37:24 EDT 2013

(changing subject since this isn't an answer to the question that
 started the thread)

On 2013-04-19 20:18:53 +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> I don't seem to know how to read procedure documentation like in the
> following example.
>
>     (file->string path [#:mode mode-flag]) → string?
>
>   path : path-string?
>   mode-flag : (or/c 'binary 'text) = 'binary

This discussion reminded me of a concern I had some time ago: should the
Reference (or perhaps the Guide) have a notation section that informs
the reader how to read contracts? (as opposed to how to use them)

The current documentation has something like this for syntax
definitions[1], but not for contracts & procedure definitions as far as
I can tell.

[1]: http://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/syntax-notation.html

Cheers,
Asumu