[racket] `send-url', unix and `xdg-open'

From: Diogo F. S. Ramos (diogofsr at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 10:52:29 EDT 2013

Ryan Culpepper <ryanc at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> On 04/18/2013 11:35 AM, Diogo F. S. Ramos wrote:
>> Looking at `collects/net/sendurl.rkt' I see that `xdg-open' is commented
>> out in the `all-unix-browsers' list, although it's still a key in a case
>> in `send-url/unix'.
>>
>> Is there a reason to not use `xdg-open'?
>
> It doesn't work with file: URLs that have query parts, like
>
>   file:///path/to/racket/doc/search/index.html?q=lambda
>
> which is how a search from DrRacket or "raco docs" works.

OIC.  That's unfortunate.

I searched the web for this and found some bug reports about this but
they were all unanswered.  :^(

But I think that it would be better if we could work around this.  Using
`xdg-open' seems to me the right default way to invoke the web browser.
At least for a neutral library.

Posted on the users mailing list.