[racket] Cross compile to PowerPC

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 18 12:56:32 EDT 2013

At Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:51:55 +0100, Tim Brown wrote:
> The script (as it is) has STRIP_DEBUG="${CROSS_COMPILE}strip -S" on the
> "make install" command line. I also run configure with:
>
> ./configure --disable-docs --host=$HOST \
>    STRIP_DEBUG="${CROSS_COMPILE}strip -S"
>
> But that ${CROSS_COMPILE} bit doesn't get propagated. Is `strip`
> architecture independent i.e. is it an ELF tool, and can I just
> use the x86 one on my build machine?
>
> Otherwise, there seems to be half-baked support for it in configure and
> src/racket/Makefile -- could it be fully baked?

I've changed `configure' so that it correctly finds `strip' based on
--host, and `strip' is now used by default for an install.

Looking at your script (and the original one for Android), I note that
you could simplify it by configuring with
`--enable-racket=$BUILD_HOST/src/racket/racket3m' and dropping the
`RUN_THIS_RACKET...=' arguments to `make'.

Also, the HOSTCC stuff is needed only by the Boehm collector, so using
`--enable-sgc' would simpler. I've added a note along those lines to
"src/README".

Posted on the users mailing list.