[racket] Planet2 questions

From: Berthold Bäuml (berthold.baeuml at dlr.de)
Date: Tue Apr 9 12:18:35 EDT 2013

On 09.04.2013, at 16:11, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2013, at 6:03 PM, Berthold Bäuml <berthold.baeuml at dlr.de> wrote:
>
>> Another interesting model for package management (even including, e.g.,  how to check out and commit packages during development) has emerged over the last years in our field of research with the open source ROS (robot operating system) from Willow Garage http://www.ros.org/wiki/Packages .
>>
>> Currently we are in the middle of writing up a package model we distilled from insights we got from studying the planet, planet2, debian and ROS packaging system. Looking forward to discussions with you.
>

> Please do share your insights with the dev or user list. It is quickly becoming clear that we will need more than planet2. The question I will pose is whether planet2 can serve as a foundation for implementing whatever you come up with -- Matthias

I hope to find time to write up the model this weekend. But what is absolutely clear to us is that a package management system has to have a notion of versions (or variants as I called them) for a package at the lowest level -- otherwise such simple things as roll-backs or composing a system from packages in a deterministic way (i.e., by precisely specifying a version for all packages) is not possible. Of course, on top of such a low level system one can add more convenient interfaces for users for the more standard use cases, e.g., mimicking the  version disregarding behavior of planet2 -- but it is not possible to do it the other way round.

Berthold

Berthold Bäuml -- Head of Autonomous Learning Robots Lab
DLR, Robotics and Mechatronics Center (RMC)
Münchner Str. 20, D-82234 Wessling
Phone +49 8153 282489
http://www.robotic.de/Berthold.Baeuml

Posted on the users mailing list.