[racket] Package: What to do about an "examples" subdir -- can it be ignored?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 5 14:46:50 EDT 2013

On reflection, 3 seems impossible, since the content of the package is
whatever is in the Git repo. In other words, the .pkgignore that I
want _is_ .gitignore.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestion whether I should prefer 1 or 2,
please let me know. Thanks.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Greg Hendershott
<greghendershott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just made rackjure and markdown into packages for Not-Named-Planet-2. ;)
>
> This was easy to do!  It went well (unless someone informs me it did
> not go well).
>
> Next, I want to make frog into a package.
>
> Currently it's:
>
> frog/
>   <source files>
>   example/   # an example site -- purely example, not a unit test
>
> I understand I need to shift it down to:
>
> frog/
>   frog/
>     <source files>
>
> My question is what to do about example/ ?
>
> 1. If it put it under frog/frog with the source, then it will be part
> of the `frog` collection. Unfortunately it will be buried in some
> collections folder the user might not know to examine (as was the case
> with Planet 1).  So it's sort of hidden deadweight.
>
> 2. If I leave `example` at the top, under frog/ then it would seem
> like a "collection" named `example`. Trying to raco setup it won't
> cause an error, but, that doesn't seem right.
>
> 3. Maybe the best choice is to ignore it, in the sense of .gitignore.
> Users could still refer to it on GitHub, but it wouldn't be installed
> at all via raco pkg install.
>
> But, is 3 even possible -- is there a ".pkgignore" equivalent of .gitignore?

Posted on the users mailing list.