[racket] Fw: assembly language

From: Hugh Aguilar (hughaguilar96 at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 23:08:31 EDT 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Hugh Aguilar <hughaguilar96 at yahoo.com>
To: Stephen Bloch <bloch at adelphi.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [racket] assembly language

You are right that a threaded Forth doesn't need to do any assembly --- it just "compiles" pointers to functions (code field addresses) in a thread. This can and has been done with traditional assemblers such as HLA. I'm not interested in that though.

I want to generate machine-code functions. This involves assembling at run-time (for the forth system, which is compile-time for the Forth application program).

I don't really understand JIT. I suppose the idea is to save memory by compiling the program as threaded code (which is much smaller than machine-code), but to convert this into machine-code "just in time" for it to run. I suppose this involves pasting together the code from all of those sub-functions in the threaded stream to create a sequence of machine-code. It seems like this conversion would take so much time that it would outweigh any speed advantage of running machine-code rather than threaded code. It must work somehow though, as it seems to be done quite a lot (the JVM for example).

I'm not planning on JIT (especially as I don't understand it). I just want the compiler to assemble actual text source-code rather than paste together code snippets, which I am finding to be a hassle. This will be done at compile-time for the Forth application --- at run-time the Forth application just runs.