[racket] VideoLAN VLC Media Player Control

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 09:44:06 EDT 2012

> (I'm also working on a home theatre thing, in which a Racket "web-server"
> servlet is using this library, and providing a UI through Web browsers of
> handheld devices on the home LAN.)

Cool idea.

> If anyone wants to try out this Racket front-end to the VLC media player at
> this point, I'd appreciate hearing whether/how it works on your particular
> platform and VLC version.
>
> http://www.neilvandyke.org/racket-vlc/

I tried it and it works well on OS X 10.7.5 with VLC 2.0.3.

As I expected since I don't have VLC in my path, start-vlc needed me
to supply #:command for it to find the executable.

I did notice that the custodian shutdown didn't seem to work as I
understood the docs to say. If I run the following short program from
Racket at the command line, after Racket exits the VLC process is
still running and playing. I would need to add an explicit call to
vlc-shutdown.

#lang racket

(require (planet neil/vlc:1:0))

(define vlc-cmd "/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC")
(define vlc (start-vlc #:command vlc-cmd))

(define f "http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=21585")
(vlc-url? f)
(vlc-add f)
(sleep 10)