[racket] 5.3's "mzc optimizer" log-debug, and log "facility" in general

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 4 15:13:33 EDT 2012

I've been slow to reply because I wanted to organize my thoughts into
a nice proposal. Maybe try some ideas in code. But meanwhile, here are
some of those raw-ish thoughts.

== Emitting logs ==

- I like your idea of defining multiple loggers. But I think could be
done less explicitly.

- I think in practice the interesting "facility" scope would correlate
with entire collection libraries, or actually individual modules.

- As a result, I wonder if things like log-debug should just
automatically use a per-module name from syntax-source. As a bonus,
naive library writers automatically "do the right thing" when using
log-debug and friends. (Whether this means there is one logger? object
per module, or it's one logger? for all but with a module ID in each
log-message, I'm not sure.)

- As long as the hood is open, I'd love if a new log-xxx were `format'
style (more like `error') instead of a single string. i.e. 95% of the
time I'm typing (log-debug (format ...)).

== Consuming logs ==

- I'd want to control visibility via the REPL, more often than via env
vars (personally).

- I'd want to choose different levels for different modules. Most
commonly that would be an elevated level for a few specific modules,
and a lower level for "all other".  For example, "I want 'debug for
under-dev.rkt, and 'warning for all others".  However there could be
times when it would be helpful to supply a list of arbitrary (module
level) pairs. Such as 'debug for foo.rkt, 'info for bar.rkt, 'info for
baz.rkt, and 'warning for all other.

- I suppose it could be handy to use a path notation for this. e.g. I
want 'debug level for "racket/*" or just for "racket/xrepl".  (This
assumes the logs emit per-module, not per-"library".)

- It would be neat if submodules could somehow be used to mitigate the
"cost" of logging, as they do for tests or srcdoc. However I guess
it's apples and oranges?