[racket] Porting Sawfish to Racket

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Oct 25 13:25:12 EDT 2012

Understood. Three points for the general person, although they might not
apply to you or everyone:

* I think the fastest way to learn XMonad is to use their "guided-tour"
and "step-by-step" documents, and then just use those for a while, to
see how you like it and what changes you really want.  Probably one's
way of working will change a bit.  Then a lot of changes you might want
to make are already in the contrib library.  There are a few things I
wanted to change initially, and I blogged about them, but they were
pretty small, and did not require a knowledge of Haskell.

* Regarding REPL, Haskell people are almost as smart as Racket people,
and maybe even sometimes just slightly smarter than Racket people on a
few things. :)  I think Haskell and XMonad together have the better
development tools than Sawfish, although it might not be as obvious as
having a REPL menu item or whatever Sawfish does.

* The relative accessibility of Scheme and small Lisps is something that
I have milked before, in comparison to Haskell, and I plan to milk it
again in my vaporware Racket book.

Neil V.

Laurent wrote at 10/25/2012 12:31 PM:
> Yes I have, for a few days, after reading Jay's blog, but (too?)
> quickly abandoned. I learned a slight bit about Haskell, tried to make
> my custom file with basic stuff and failed. I believe I should take a
> full course on Haskell before using xmonad. On the other hand, I
> installed Sawfish, looked at the reference manual, and could
> immediately do everything I wanted to do. There are many bindings that
> you can use to control whatever you want about your windows. For
> example, I've always wanted a keybinding to send a window to my second
> monitor (not workspace, not viewport, but monitor head) while keeping
> size ratio. Did that in an hour or two with Sawfish (had to write my
> own function), have no clue how to do that in xmonad (but I admit I
> did not look very far). Plus it's got a repl.

Posted on the users mailing list.