[racket] putenv

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 10:02:36 EDT 2012

How are you checking "in the system"?

putenv does not make a global change to your system settings, instead
it changes the environment locally. For example, on Unix (it would
work the same on Windows, but I don't know a lot about the Windows

[outer] $ FOO=1
[outer] $ echo $FOO
[outer] $ racket
[racket] > (putenv "FOO" "2")
[racket] > (getenv "FOO")
[racket] > (system "/bin/sh")
[inner] $ echo $FOO
[inner] $ exit
> (exit 0)
[outer] $ echo $FOO

The only real use of putenv is with system, when you want the Racket
program to run another program.

Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>