[racket] A small little random tutorial

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 23:49:52 EDT 2012

On 10/20/2012 05:15 PM, Danny Yoo wrote:
> http://hashcollision.org/vegas-blues/
>
> The tone ended up being a bit bluer than I expected, hence the title.
>
> Suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Cute!

It reminds me of a dad/randomness thing from my past, so I got all
nostalgic. In a good way, not a PTSD way.

When I was 13, my dad and I both read an article about the Monty Hall
problem. (Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem for an
overview.) I agreed with the expert after enumerating the possible
outcomes and summing their probabilities; my dad still disagreed. I
wrote a small program to simulate the game show and the counts seemed to
agree with the probabilities; my dad said the program must be wrong.

Okay, maybe a little PTSD. For heck's sake, the man was a
*meteorologist* and a *programmer*. Statistics was half his life, and he
could ready my code! Anyway, I know I'm right, and that's all that
counts. Right? Right.

Ah, dads and randomness. Makes me a little teary.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.