[racket] polymorphic functions

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 15 01:59:51 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-13 23:18:27 +0300, Răzvan Rotaru wrote:
>    @Greg, I know sequences and the functions around it, and they are indeed
>    part of what I'm looking for. Essentially, I am speaking about replacing
>    the core scheme functions, which work with lists, with generic versions
>    that work with sequences. Before plunging into it, I would like to know
>    other oppinions (whether it's possible and/or what are the implications,
>    drawbacks).

Several of us have thought about this, especially in relation to the new
generics feature that is in Racket 5.3. In particular, Vincent has an
experiment with "buildable sequences" on github that implements nice
generic operations like map/g:
  https://github.com/stamourv/buildable-sequences

Potentially, the map/g from this example could replace the list map as
the standard mapping function. Whether Racket will actually do that is a
design question that we don't yet have a consensus on.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the users mailing list.