[racket] Considering taking the plunge

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 16:53:23 EDT 2012

Another consideration is that the db library doesn't support Microsoft
SQL Server directly. It may work fine via ODBC (I don't know
first-hand because I haven't used SQL Service since `db' was added to
Racket).

In a previous life I did use FreeTDS with Racket on Linux to talk to a
SQL Server. A duct tape approach, but it can work fine for certain
purposes. After all it is essentially how SQL Studio is talking to SQL
Server on the wire, beneath all the layers of GUI and IntelliSensing.
;)

Also in a previous life, on the Excel side: I've used Racket's COM FFI
to talk to a local install of Excel and build a workbook. But these
days it's probably simplest to make a file for Excel to load -- CSV if
only the data matters, or XML if you need to specify cell formatting
or other Excel features.