[racket] Contracts and submodules

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 30 09:33:59 EST 2012

On Nov 29, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Greg Hendershott wrote:

> AFIK these subtleties of contracts and modules arise with
> `provide/contract' -- by saying that the function should only use a
> contract outside the module (or submodule).
>
> But I prefer to use `define/contract'. For one thing, I think it's
> easier and more-maintainable to group the contract near/with its
> function in the source. But I also prefer it on the starting
> assumption that if a procedure is worth contracting at all, it's worth
> contracting all the time -- inside the module as well as outside.

This is a complete misunderstanding. Contracts are specifications
that govern the flow of values across boundaries. We call this boundary
a 'module' but for several years now, module and #lang have been two
distinct terms. In this spirit,

 -- #lang with provide contract-out is a module
 -- define/contract is a module
 -- internal modules are modules but watch out for module+

In contrast,
 -- units and classes are values and we have contracts for them
	but they do NOT establish contract boundaries, they are
	NOT modules.

In your specific case, define/contract splits an existing 'module'
into two pieces.

;; ---

As I have said many times, your use of contract is likely to be
much better satisfied with the use of Typed Racket. I doubt that
many of your contracts are checking more than constructors, which
roughly corresponds to type checking. For the remaining ones, Sam
will provide

  provide/typed with contract-out
  require/typed with contract-in

	ANY TIME SOON NOW.

;; ---

As for performance of contracts:

On Nov 29, 2012, at 11:47 PM, Harry Spier wrote:

> And then to enable/disable contracts you can use the method Mathias
> pointed out here.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@racket-lang.org/msg12281.html

Thanks for reminding the list of this post. I should write this
out as a blog post or an entry into our Contract Guide.