[racket] [racket-dev] Survey for DrRacket users related to automatic parentheses behavior

From: Nadeem Abdul Hamid (nadeem at acm.org)
Date: Sat Nov 24 14:22:07 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Nick Shelley <nickmshelley at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I sort of like this behavior, and the visual difference gets rid of any
>> potential confusion.
>>

> Just an idea... you might duplicate Paredit's functionality:
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/ParEdit
>
> It is way past beta and has probably gone through all of the pain of
> debating over points like this since a lot of people use it and have shared
> their feedback, too.

I haven't really used ParEdit at all - just tried it out a little bit in
the last couple of days - but it seems to be too much of a straitjacket to
me (at least in its default, out-of-the-box settings)? It overrides/ignores
too much of what I try to do in terms of typing (closing) parens, and it
seems possible to get it in a state where parentheses don't match up, like
 ( ... ], and it's not immediately evident how to correct it conveniently
because ParEdit neither lets me delete or change the ].

> Additionally, it would be a big selling point for DrRacket to be able to
> offer "Paredit equivelant functionality" in addition to the other great
> stuff it already offers.

Yes, or maybe, "better-than-ParEdit functionality", :-P ....