[racket] [racket-dev] Survey for DrRacket users related to automatic parentheses behavior

From: Nadeem Abdul Hamid (nadeem at acm.org)
Date: Sat Nov 24 14:16:04 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Nick Shelley <nickmshelley at gmail.com>wrote:

> For what it's worth, Xcode differentiates these cases by inserting a
> temporary closing paren that is gray instead of black. You can make it
> permanent by arrowing over it, typing it yourself, tabbing over it, or just
> moving the cursor outside the matching parens. When it becomes permanent it
> is black like the other text and you have to delete it individually, but
> while it is still gray it will be deleted automatically if you delete the
> opening paren.
>
> I sort of like this behavior, and the visual difference gets rid of any
> potential confusion.

Yes, I believe Eclipse does something like this too, maybe not with such a
visual sort of indication. I agree that it's very cool functionality but it
requires really thorough tracking of some hidden state as Robby says
(history of the users' key and/or mouse interaction) and I don't think I'm
going to go for this right now.