[racket] DrRacket for the Truly Impatient V02, need help, beta testers

From: Nadeem Abdul Hamid (nadeem at acm.org)
Date: Wed Nov 21 19:29:59 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:

> You are an accomplished programmer that got this far without online
> compilation that was added this year?

Well, I don't know about others, but prior to that becoming available, I
would often have to keep hitting the "Check syntax" button or key command
manually. Online compilation is just DrRacket continuously running "Check
Syntax" for you so you don't have to manually do that - and it *is* very
convenient and smoothes out the development process, reducing a distraction
that is otherwise present. Other industrial-strength IDEs (e.g. Eclipse, MS
VS, IBM's Java Visual-something- I forget the name) all provide this
feature of continuous background syntax analysis to enable various types of
refactorings and code navigation. Another nice thing about online
compilation is the additional feature of being able to view snippets of
function signatures (i.e. help) right in the corner of the editor.

--- nadeem