[racket] Scheme's place in the world

From: Jordan Johnson (jmj at fellowhuman.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 11:58:22 EST 2012

On Nov 20, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Hugh Aguilar wrote:
> The only way to make money is by selling circuit-boards that do something useful --- and those boards have to be programmed somehow, which is where Straight Forth comes in. Boards are a product that can be sold. Software is not a product ---

Notwithstanding everything else you've said, the above isn't seriously defensible, given all the software that runs on servers that we interact with daily and all the apps that we purchase and download to run on smartphones and tablets.  Somebody writes that, and somebody's making money off it.  Yes, the 80s/90s model of shrinkwrapped off-the-shelf software is mostly gone, but it's an absurd leap to claim that that means the software business is gone.

Regards,
jmj

Posted on the users mailing list.