[racket] DrRacket sluggishness since upgrading to 5.3.1 (OS X 10.6.8, 64-bit build)

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Sun Nov 18 01:42:25 EST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 8:01 PM, Jon Zeppieri wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>>

>> I also didn't improve the contour window much. I've looked into
>> it some, but I think I need a different strategy for it's
>> implementation. I hope to get to that before the next release goes
>> out, but if you want high interactivity in the meantime, close it.
>>

> Which is the contour window?
>
>> Another thing to try: click the "gc" icon a few times and see if that
>> helps. (It may be the case that parts of DrRacket are paged out and
>> clicking that will likely page them back in.)
>
> Will do. Thanks.
>

>> I have no idea if this is happening, but I just feel like pointing out
>> that non-tail infinite loops in your programs can quickly eat up all
>> your memory (with only 3.5 gigs) and you might not know that since you
>> have the memory limit turned off.
>
> No, I mean that I had that much ram free *while* the sluggishness was
> happening. I had top open in another window. I was definitely not out
> of memory.

I think it's worth mentioning that having a large heap can slow down DrRacket, even if you have lots of free memory. For instance, racket instances using only 100MB are a lot snappier than those using 1.1 GB; I'm not the authority on this, but I think I'm right when I say that sooner or later, you're bound to experience a full collection, and it's just going to take a lot longer when your heap is large.

Apologies if this was all already obvious.

John