[racket] 80-bit precision in Racket

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 19:46:53 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:54:35PM +0400, Dmitry Pavlov wrote:
> Hugh,
>
> I see your point, and I have nothing against Forth per se,
> and rewriting the whole thing in Forth could be an
> interesting research, but well, sometimes we need
> to deliver programs in time.

Re: Delivering programs on time.

In my experience, type-checking (perferably at compile time for
languages where this is meaningful) is an essential tool for
rapid development.  At compile time, it prevents many bugs.  At
run-time, it makes it possible to detect bugs closer to where they
occur.

Now I've once heard of a statically typed Forth.  The implementation ran
in a 16-bit environment, if I remember correctly.  Is that still any
kind of a live project?

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.