[racket] XNextEvent blocking 'read' in other thread?

From: Tobias Hammer (tobias.hammer at dlr.de)
Date: Wed Nov 7 12:23:30 EST 2012

create a port from a file descriptor:

(define scheme-make-fd-input-port
   (let ([fun (get-ffi-obj "scheme_make_fd_input_port" #f
                           (_fun _int _racket _int _int -> _racket))])
     (lambda (fd name)
       (fun fd name 0 0))))

call with
(scheme-make-fd-input-port your-fd 'some-symbol)

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 18:16:20 +0100, Kevin Tew <tewk at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Racket threads are green or user threads, they are not scheduled by the
> operating system.
> Blocking on a socket in XNextEvent blocks the entire Racket VM.
>

> You need to use XConnectionNumber to get the X socket file descriptor
> number and then create a port that you can sync on with Racket's sync
> functionality.
>
> I'm not sure how you would create the port using the ffi.
>
> See
> http://fixunix.com/xwindows/91558-xconnectionnumber-select.html.
>
> Kevin
>
> On 11/07/2012 09:58 AM, Laurent wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know if this issue is due to me, Racket, Xlib FFI or Xlib in
>> itself, but I'm struggling with it. Hopefully someone knows.
>>
>> In a multi-threaded application using Jon's Xlib FFI (
>> https://github.com/kazzmir/x11-racket ), I'm using one thread for
>> processing X events with XNextEvent, which is a blocking call
>> (apparently on a socket).
>> I have another thread that listens to a tcp port, and does not need to
>> do any X call.
>>
>> The problem is that the second thread blocks on 'read' even if there
>> is something in the queue to read, unless some X event unblocks
>> XNextEvent, in which case both threads run, until there is no X event
>> left (and XNextEvent blocks again).
>>
>> I have called XInitThreads prior to any other X call to enable threads
>> (and the return values says it's ok).
>>
>> Any idea anyone?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Laurent

>>    Racket Users list:
>>    http://lists.racket-lang.org/users

Tobias Hammer
DLR / Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics
Muenchner Str. 20, D-82234 Wessling
Tel.: 08153/28-1487
Mail: tobias.hammer at dlr.de

Posted on the users mailing list.