[racket] Responsibility & Etiquette (was Scriblogify Error -- I'm baaack!)

From: Patrick King (slowthought at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 2 20:43:23 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:38 PM, Patrick King wrote:
>
> I was way too optimistic, and way too ashamed to bother the community
> again.
>

> This should never be the case.

I disagree. The reason my problem wasn't solved the first time around was
that I hadn't done sufficient homework in isolating my problem and
presenting a concrete example of my problem, devoid of application
specifics that are not known or cared about by the community. The reason I
claimed success was that I hadn't done sufficient homework in testing what
proved to be wrong solutions, kindly provided by this community based on my
inadequate input.

When I realized that I didn't have the answer, and realized that I had
presented a poorly phrased question, I took the time (probably what seems a
long time to most of you, but I'm a mere hobbyist) to frame an example that
people could and would run, and I had a right answer in days.

If you have a problem, ask. If we don't answer, it doesn't mean we don't
> care. It probably means your message fell thru the cracks.

One of the things I love about Racket is that everybody seems to care. My
delay in asking for more help was in no way motivated by fear of my
reception here!

Ask again. -- Matthias

I did, when I felt my question was worthy of the group's attention -- in a
format that the experts could easily evaluate, and that the neophytes could
hopefully learn from. The time and effort I spent framing my second email
was far more productive than the time (everyone's time) that I wasted on
the first.

Time is a wasting asset. Racket does far better than any language I've
dealt with in letting me spend my time on my problems, and not on the
language. Ditto the Racket community. Thanks, all.