[racket] code metrics

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed May 30 03:07:25 EDT 2012

There is some code coverage instrumentation in the "errortrace" library,
and I believe the DrRacket has some kind of coverage feature.

The other metrics you mention are very easy to get.  How useful they are
is a different question, and depends on why you're asking.

Aside: code metrics are of course useful for convincing managers of things:

WRONG: "We've been making steady progress on functionality and QA, and
the schedule feels tighter than last month, but people have been staying
late, we're still on track for our weekly milestones, and morale is
still pretty good.  We just don't have wiggle room to absorb any more
surprises without slipping."

RIGHT: Ensure that the line count increases monotonically, whether or
not that's good practice. "We have been producing average 9,876 new
lines of code a day, and so are on track to our milestone of 300,000 new
lines by the end of Q2."

WRONG: "We think it would take our best available developer more than a
month to develop that functionality, but Acme has a component that does
exactly what we need and that we think will be very quick to integrate."

RIGHT: "Acme answered our inquiry that their off-the-shelf component has
40,000 SLOC of code, so if we multiply that by our cost metric of 12.3
cents per SLOC, the Acme $3,000 royalty-free license gives us a cost
savings of $1,920."

WRONG: "Everyone on the team is saying that the bit-rotted old library
is slowing us down, and we think that Jim spending a couple days
refactoring it in a few specific ways that he identified would be an
immediate big win."

RIGHT: "Thanks to the software metrics tiger team that I led, we've
learned that three of the key functions in the old library have McCabe
cyclomatic complexity over 100, which, gentlemen, we all know is bad.  I
propose we task some resources to cut that in half, which we all know is
better.  In fact, I have a new initiative to boost productivity by
simplifying our code and bringing this number down to 10.  Heck, why be
followers when we can be leaders: we're going to five blades."

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.