[racket] Delimited continuations and parameters

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon May 14 21:00:49 EDT 2012

See the docs for `parameterize':

 If a continuation is captured during the evaluation of parameterize,
 invoking the continuation effectively re-introduces the
 parameterization, since a parameterization is associated to a
 continuation via a continuation mark (see Continuation Marks) using a
 private key.

where "parameterization" is hyperlinked to

 In a non-empty continuation, a parameter’s value is determined through
 a parameterization that is associated with the nearest enclosing
 continuation frame though a continuation mark (whose key is not
 directly accessible). A parameterization maps each parameter to a
 preserved thread cell, and the combination of thread cell and current
 thread yields the parameter’s value. A parameter procedure sets or
 accesses the relevant thread cell for its parameter.

In other words, every `parameterize' uses the same continuation mark,
so that `(parameterize ([r 10]) ...)' associates the parameterization
continuation mark with a single record that maps `r' to 10, `p' to 1,
etc. The entire record is carried by the delimited continuation.

In the ICFP'07 paper on delimited continuations in Racket, we wrote (at
the end of section 5) that we'd probably change `parameterize', but
we've never gotten around to that change. Meanwhile, raw continuation
marks (as modeled directly in that paper) essentially match the
dynamic-binding form of Kiselyov et al.