[racket] Recent GIT HEAD Breakage On Linux

From: Ray Racine (ray.racine at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 14 08:40:46 EDT 2012

I was just tossing it out in case it tickled someone's memory regarding a
recent commit.

Just last night I think I stumbled onto the problem, but as yet have not
confirmed it.  I purchased a new laptop on Friday and DrRacket, built from
source, worked perfectly, so I assumed it was detritus build up on my old
Fedora server box as the new laptop is Ubuntu 12.04.  An then lo' and
behold the problem started to manifest itself on Sat. when building Racket
on the laptop.

I _think_ the issue happens when raco link -d is used to add a new
collection and then Racket is built from source.  During the build process
of Racket, looking carefully one where small failures are occurring with
the build looking for mred, and racket sub-dirs the raco link(ed)
collection root.

When the build completes Racket runs fine except for the DrRacket REPL
borks when you type anything into it.  The message is something along the
lines of "mred failed... no permission to check for `exists?` on directory
/my/raco/linked/collection/root/mred".

If I remove the raco link to my personal collection, then build Racket and
then subsequently re-add the collection _after_ building Racket from source
everything is fine.

Ray