[racket] plots/graphics without drscheme

From: prad (prad at towardsfreedom.com)
Date: Fri May 11 14:48:32 EDT 2012

Neil Toronto <neil.toronto at gmail.com>
writes:

> On 05/11/2012 11:44 AM, prad wrote:
>> i'm not using drscheme.
>>
>> how do i display things like
>> (object:2d-view% ...)
>> which are produced when we use plot etc.
>>
>> if i run a racket program from command line?
>>
>> i thought there might be something like a show function, but it doesn't
>> seem to be in
>> #lang racket
>
> Start your interactions with `(plot-new-window? #t)' (without the
> quotes). Every call to `plot' or `plot3d' will then display the plot
> in a new frame.
>
> It sounds like you don't need programmatic control over the frames,
> but if you do, use `plot-frame' and `plot3d-frame'.
>
> Neil ⊥

thx neil (and azumu).
there doesn't seem to be a

plot-new-window?
or
plot-frame

after i do
(require plot)

aren't these functions part of plot?

nor does it help if i change
#lang racket
#lang slideshow

for instance, this program doesn't work in drscheme:

#lang slideshow
(require plot)

(plot-font-size (current-font-size))
(plot-width (current-para-width))
(plot-height 600)
(plot-background-alpha 1/2)

(slide
 #:title "A 2D Parabola"
 (plot-pict (function sqr -1 1 #:label "y = x^2")))

because it doesn't know what plot-font-size or plot-width is.
the program is from:
http://docs.racket-lang.org/plot/plot2d.html?q=plot-frame#%28def._%28%28lib._plot/main..rkt%29._plot-frame%29%29

so what am i missing here?
(i'm on debian, but have installed racket v5.1)

--
in friendship,
prad