[racket] XREPL on Windows

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu May 10 19:48:40 EDT 2012

Earlier today, John Clements wrote:
> Apologies in advance: I'm talking about something I know *almost*
> nothing about, but it appears that these days, "git" for windows
> ships with something that looks like a pretty complete "bash". Is
> this a viable alternative to cygwin, or are there a whole bunch of
> pieces that I don't know about?

The bash shell that comes with the common Windows git is running in a
dos box, which means that it inerits its line editing capabilities.

8 hours ago, Greg Hendershott wrote:

> It's a Bash shell with a reasonable selection of core utilities, but
> not nearly as much as is available with Cygwin.  Also IIUC FWIW it's
> based on MinGW, not cygwin.
>
> In my case Git Bash was the gateway drug. Later I installed cygwin
> and used its git build. I also used MinTTY.
>
> Using either cygwin and MinGW, readline "just worked" for me.

On a dos window you're not really using readline.

In mintty it should use it, but my guess is that they have tweaked the
cygwin shells to work with those libraries, or maybe they hacked
things so that linking readline works with their name.