[racket] The value of a language

From: Nick Shelley (nickmshelley at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 9 17:50:46 EDT 2012

This sounds a lot like Paul Graham's "Blub Paradox" from
http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html.

My experience with Racket is that I initially hated it because I didn't
understand it, but now that I'm past that pettiness I use Racket whenever I
have a choice. However, I'm certain I don't use the full power of Racket,
again because of my lack of knowledge and understanding. I think the main
problem is that since I don't fully understand the features of the language
I end up "writing Fortran programs in every language."

What I think would be helpful for me (and would probably be a good
marketing tool as well) is if there was a list (maybe on a wiki or
something) of real problems that were solved using certain features and why
those features were necessary. A great example of this is chapter 15 of
PLAI titled "Some Problems with Web Programs." It outlines a real-world
problem and explains how continuations can be used to solve that problem.

The problem is that everyone thinks they can do anything they want with the
language they're most comfortable with, and until they see there are real
problems they can't solve, they won't be interested in learning and
"getting real work done." (And when I say real problems, I don't mean using
laziness to generate an infinite list, I mean using a lazy infinite list in
some useful context other than for the neat factor.)

Just some thoughts.