[racket] The value of a language

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 9 16:53:17 EDT 2012

1983: Pascal doesn't have closures, so I built records once I understood the concept. But -- and that is a HUGE but -- I didn't really understand the concept of a closure until I had programmed in Scheme. In reality I couldn't imagine programming with closures when my boss told me it was possible and argued we could do it in Pascal.

1998: C programmers didn't know about objects until they worked in Java for a while. I am sure, however, that they could have managed with structs and function pointers.

2012: I am certain that Java-ists don't understand modules like MLers do.

2020: I also don't think Haskellians understand macros the way Racketeers do.

These programmers are just too lazy to immerse themselves in something novel and truly learn. Now let's do some real work -- Matthias