[racket] Coding principles and styles

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 9 05:43:02 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> Three hours ago, Laurent wrote:
> >
> > I'd be very interested in what your rules are. Could you expand a
> > little please?
>
> A bunch of things that would take a lot of verbiage to specify, and
> might lead to unnecessary flamage...

Hopefully we're all grown-ups here.

>  At the high level there's not
> much that will be surprising, maybe except for how much I'll invest in
> avoid things like duplicated code etc.

Well, if you ever feel like writing them down, I'd be happy to read that,
and I'm pretty sure I'd learn a lot.
Btw, you'd be surprised how unsurprising things can be surprising. I caught
myself "discovering" quite recently a common coding style rule that I used
most of the time unconsciously but forgot from time to time. Now that's
it's consciously set in my mind, I use it consistently or, if I break it, I
must have a good reason to do so and be ready to make it a rule too, not
just be lazy.
(the rule is "always put spaces around operators" in infix languages, but
that's not the point.)

Laurent