[racket] tcp-connect and IPv6...

From: Rüdiger Asche (rac at ruediger-asche.de)
Date: Sun May 6 12:35:14 EDT 2012

ok, sorry...

(tcp-connect   hostname
    port-no
   [local-hostname
    local-port-no])   →   input-port?   output-port?

If hostname already resolves to an IPv6 address, you are done - to test (locally):

In /etc/hosts, add something like

127.0.0.1     localhostipv4
::1               localhostipv6

then open a connection to localhostipv6. That'll get you via an IPv6 interface - which one I don't know since there is no scope Id you can specify in the call to connect!

Another way is to set local-hostname to localhostipv6, but then you can not leave local-port-no unspecified (I don't have any idea why that is so; I don't see any reason prescribed by IPv6 for it) which has ugly side effects (such as the one that you can't reopen the connection with the same local port unless TCP has nuked the old one completly which may take a while; also, there is not really a way to figure out if a port you select is in use or not).

For test purposes it works, but it appears that there is work left to be done...