[racket] REPL "Organism" <=> The Borg?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 1 23:02:51 EDT 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Olwe Melwasul wrote:

> But then I've heard people from PLT/Racket downplaying the whole dynamic feeding of a REPL.

The repl is an invaluable tool for exploring ideas. Think of it as a sketchpad. I would not want to live without it.

When it comes to building and linking the pieces of a large program, the REPL is still a fantastic tool.

It does fall short when you use it to patch large programs with haphazard loading of definitions and expressions. As they used to say about types, it takes a strong mind to live without transparency and I don't think I have it (all the time). So that's why DrRacket comes with a transparent REPL not an opaque one.

-- Matthias