No subject

From: ()
Date: Sat Mar 24 01:50:51 EDT 2012

of the users list, which looked fine when I tested it.

> Gunzip goes through the motions and overwrites the 2012-June.txt.gz
> file, creating file: 2012-June.txt.

It shouldn't overwrite it -- it should instead create an uncompressed
2012-June.txt file and only after that was done successfully, it
should remove the gzipped file.

> When a text editor attempts to open this file, the file appears to
> have codes that prevent it from being interpretted correctly.

When I tested it, I also looked for non-ascii characters, and there
are none.  (Assuming the same file.)  It sounds like you had either
some problem in the download on in your gzip version.

> I am able to successfully create a new text file, compress it with
> gzip to create a .gz file, then gunzip it to decompress it, and open
> it with a text editor.
>
> Something is different between the text files I create and the
> archived Racket text files.  I suspected that the problem might be
> that the Racket text files had end of line characters appropriate
> for Windows, not Linux,

No, it should have all LF line endings.

> however I tried opening the file with OpenOffice.org Word Processor,
> with different each of the end of line options in turn.  Each time
> the file appears to have some non-ascii characters.  Thanks.

In case your gzip is indeed broken somehow, note that you can get the
uncompressed files from the server too, for example, the uncompressed
version of

  http://lists.racket-lang.org/users/archive/2012-June.txt.gz

is the same URL without the ".gz" suffix.