[racket] Racket Question

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 30 09:05:31 EDT 2012

On Friday, March 30, 2012, Brandon T wrote:

>  Hi i have a question that i could not find an answer to on your site, not
> could i find an answer on stack overload. By default, racket prints the
> first 25 digits of a irrational fraction. i.e.
>
> >1/998
> 0.0010020040080160320641282...

Just to point out that 1/998 is not irrational.  It has a finite decimal
representation.  See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_decimal

We can can compute the repeating decimal representation of a fraction by
repeated division on the remainders, and since there are only a finite
number of distinct remainders of 998, we're guaranteed to terminate at some
point, or find a loop.