[racket] Creating OpenGL textures from bitmaps

From: Stephan Houben (stephanh at planet.nl)
Date: Tue Mar 27 09:19:17 EDT 2012

Hi Michael, Tomi,

The ARGB order is what most hardware uses internally anyway.

Therefore, modern wisdom is not to convert to rgba but rather use
texture modes GL_BGRA with GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV.

But in my experience that turns out not to work on some implementations, even ones which advertise
OpenGL 1.2 support. Great. I went back to explicit byte swizzling in Racket. At least it works.

Stephan

On 03/26/2012 06:10 PM, Michael W wrote:
> I'd also love to know if there's a better way. A
> bitmap%->opengl-tex-handle function would be absolutely
> scrumptious.
>
> Part of the reason seems to be that Racket stores images as ARGB
> bytes, but OpenGL doesn't support that, hence the need for all
> the byte swizzling.
>
> For what it's worth, I have some (lousy) example code that draws
> our beloved (standard-fish) to an OpenGL texture, just copying
> the argb bytes to a new buffer and loading that. It's
> horrible--useless comments abound and mutation everywhere---and
> it's exactly what you said you didn't want, but in case you need
> it: https://gist.github.com/2206165
>
> 2 hours ago, Tomi Neste wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'd need to use bitmaps rendered with the graphics toolkit as OpenGL
>> textures in a GL context created by a foreign library (like GLFW, for
>> example). I was looking through the documentation but couldn't any
>> information on how to bind Racket bitmaps as GL textures. The SGL
>> examples seem to do a byte-by-byte copy of a Racket byte-vector
>> acquired with get-argb-pixels which seems redundant and slow since I
>> assume the bitmap is already stored in some format that could be
>> directly used by OpenGL texture creation functions.
>>
>> So, is there a way to get a foreign pointer to the bitmap data (and
>> format information) or is there some other way to accomplish what I'd
>> need?

Posted on the users mailing list.