[racket] strange issue with tcp-connect on Windows...

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Jun 29 20:36:49 EDT 2012

Matthew can address the Racket internals questions, but one thing I'd
check, if you haven't already...

At the moment of the error, have all the free TCP ports on one of the
involved nodes been exhausted?  You can probably check this on the
individual hosts close enough to the moment of the error, even if you
can't check at the exact moment.

You can also reconstruct likely TCP stack states of each host after the
fact, if you capture all the TCP traffic of each node on the wire, and
you can also see whether protocol that should be happening (e.g.,
shutdown handshake) isn't happening on the wire in a timely enough
manner.  (To help sniff traffic between N hosts on a LAN without the
additional complications of hacking an OpenWRT device, I got an old
*unswitched* Ethernet hub off eBay.  You might already have better
network test equipment, but I'm mentioning this for any random person
who reads this later.)

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.