[racket] why is the comparimng always false

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Jun 29 19:38:13 EDT 2012

Stephen Bloch wrote at 06/29/2012 06:01 PM:
> Either you introduce this stuff much better than I do, or your students are much sharper.

For the possible benefit of any students reading, I think someone say
it, rather than leave it implied: Or the difference could be an isolated
effect of, say, some subtle difference in how one concept was first
introduced in their respective educations, not a reflection on the
instruction or students overall.

Aside: I think students are much the same everywhere, and most all
students have potential to be good at this stuff.  But learning this
stuff well requires a lot of work, and I think students generally do
need to have sufficient sense that they're ``sharp,'' so that they stick
with it and put in the necessary work.  Or, there is another category of
person, who sees themself as slow but determined; that will also lead to
learning the stuff, if the self image gets them to put in the necessary
work.  (However, the ones who are self-assured and yet who don't do the
learning work... they are doomed to be dim and to have few job options
other than some kind of politician.)

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.