[racket] H264 Codec in Racket

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jun 14 17:41:27 EDT 2012

10 minutes ago, Petr Samarin wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2012, at 4:26 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
>     Racket has the advantage of macros, which can often be used in
>     such bit-whacking (nice term) situations.  It can be used to
>     easily pre-generate some code that would otherwise be too
>     complicated to write.
>
> Can you point to some example where Racket macros are used in that
> way?  Thanks!

Two such examples that I've workd on in the past are the md5
implementation, and the fasta and pidigts benchmarks from the language
shootout.  The first deals with limited integers in a relatively
efficient way, the second does aggressive memoization, and the third
has a silly DSL-like bindings to GMP to do fast arithmetics.

http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/blob/HEAD:/collects/file/md5.rkt
http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/blob/HEAD:/collects/tests/racket/benchmarks/shootout/fasta.rkt
http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/blob/HEAD:/collects/tests/racket/benchmarks/shootout/pidigits-gmp.rkt