[racket] long-term urls for parts of manuals

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Jun 9 16:32:03 EDT 2012

What's the best way to link to the documentation for a symbol in one of
the Racket manuals?

Linking into the latest release public copy of the manuals on
"doc.racket-lang.org", here are three options, none of which seems ideal:

1. This works at the moment, but it's big and ugly, and I don't know
whether it will still work a few months from now:

http://doc.racket-lang.org/planet/Developing_Packages_for_PLaneT.html?q=can-be-loaded-with#%28idx._%28gentag._16._%28lib._planet/planet..scrbl%29%29%29

2. This does not jump to "can-be-loaded-with" (the "?q=" query part of
the URL doesn't seem to be used for anything):

http://doc.racket-lang.org/planet/Developing_Packages_for_PLaneT.html?q=can-be-loaded-with

3. The following one works well enough in this particular case, since
there's only one "can-be-loaded-with", but it's not as good if I want to
link to something that gives multiple search hits.  Nor is it very good
if I wanted to direct people to a particular discussion, such as in the
Reference rather than the Guide, or vice versa.

http://doc.racket-lang.org/search/index.html?q=can-be-loaded-with

My immediate motivation is for when McFly points users to documentation
they need to look at, such as if McFly adds a missing problematic
"can-be-loaded-with" to "info.rkt" (see below).  But long-term URLs are
also good for things like linking to Racket documentation from Web
sites, printed materials, etc. that might have longevity.

     ;; TODO: See
http://doc.racket-lang.org/search/index.html?q=can-be-loaded-with
     (define can-be-loaded-with 'all)

Neil V.