[racket] long-term urls for parts of manuals

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Jun 9 16:32:03 EDT 2012

What's the best way to link to the documentation for a symbol in one of
the Racket manuals?

Linking into the latest release public copy of the manuals on
"doc.racket-lang.org", here are three options, none of which seems ideal:

1. This works at the moment, but it's big and ugly, and I don't know
whether it will still work a few months from now:

2. This does not jump to "can-be-loaded-with" (the "?q=" query part of
the URL doesn't seem to be used for anything):

3. The following one works well enough in this particular case, since
there's only one "can-be-loaded-with", but it's not as good if I want to
link to something that gives multiple search hits.  Nor is it very good
if I wanted to direct people to a particular discussion, such as in the
Reference rather than the Guide, or vice versa.

My immediate motivation is for when McFly points users to documentation
they need to look at, such as if McFly adds a missing problematic
"can-be-loaded-with" to "info.rkt" (see below).  But long-term URLs are
also good for things like linking to Racket documentation from Web
sites, printed materials, etc. that might have longevity.

     ;; TODO: See
     (define can-be-loaded-with 'all)

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.