[racket] H264 Codec in Racket

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 7 20:31:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Neil Toronto <neil.toronto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, if the algorithms are parallel, you might consider using futures.
>

> Good idea. I wonder if anyone has investigated whether it's significantly
> easier to use futures effectively in Typed Racket. Its optimizations are
> designed to avoid allocation.

I think the way it splits up complex numbers can definitely help, if
you find them useful in your algorithm, but my experience so far with
futures suggests that putting things in Typed Racket won't necessarily
make it a whole lot easier to avoid barricades. It will, however, give
the same speedups that you were talking about, which is definitely
going to be helpful.

James is working on a visualizer that will help understand the
peculiarities of futures and I hope it'll be in a pushable state in
not too long.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.