[racket] Performance of delay/force vs lambda/apply

From: Adolfo Pérez Álvarez (adolfo.pa at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 09:22:42 EDT 2012

2012/7/17 Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org>:
> The numbers that I'm getting for this (each is the median of 7 runs)
> are:
>
>   delay:      cpu time: 3850 real time: 3874 gc time: 1997
>   lazy:       cpu time: 2240 real time: 2253 gc time: 1363
>   delay/name: cpu time:  790 real time:  794 gc time:  470
>   naive:      cpu time:  945 real time:  951 gc time:  477
>   thunks:     cpu time:  392 real time:  393 gc time:  155
>
> Note that the overall speedup for thunks is much bigger -- that's
> probably due to better inlining on the recent git head.

I've been working with the git head for some time now (a month or so),
and you've done a very impressive work with the compiler. In a lot of
cases, I've been able to get results very close to lower level
languages (with supposedly more efficient runtimes) with a minimal
effort.

> The thing is that the default `delay' deals with a bunch of stuff that
> makes things slower compared to a naive implementation.  One of them
> is dealing with multiple values -- `lazy' doesn't do that which makes
> it a bit faster.  This is a substantial performance hit, but the
> biggest one which both `delay' and `lazy' suffer from is catching
> errors and caching them as a result.  For example, try forcing this a
> few times:
>
>     (define foo (let ([c 0]) (delay (begin (set! c (+ c 1))
>                                            (/ 1 (- c 1))))))
>
> with `delay' or `lazy' and compare with the naive implementation.

I see now: the naïve versions aren't correct at all in the presence of
errors. But if the delayed expression had no side effects (and we
ignore multiple return values) both approaches would be equivalent, am
I right?

> The cost is because each promise has its computation inside a
> `with-handlers' (roughly), and I don't know of a good way to make it
> faster.  That's not because I didn't try... I would love to have it
> run faster, since just that thing is responsible for a 2x slowup --
> here are numbers from the same code without the exception catching:
>
>   no-exn-delay: cpu time: 2520 real time: 2532 gc time: 1211
>   no-exn-lazy:  cpu time: 1407 real time: 1415 gc time: 789
>
> and in lazy racket this becomes a major issue...

Is this the main issue that keeps Lazy Racket in "experimental" state?
Or are there other known limitations?

>> Simplifying even further the definition of mdelay/mforce:
>>
>> (define-syntax-rule (mdelay expr) (thunk expr))
>> (define-syntax-rule (mforce expr) (expr))
>>
>> got me impressive results (comparable to a C implementation of the
>> same function):
>> > (time (g 242501))
>> cpu time: 597 real time: 602 gc time: 319
>> 242502
>>
>> Given that the compiler is so good optimizing function creation and
>> application, ¿Is there any reason to use delay/force over
>> lambda/apply? ¿Am I missing something here?
>
> One thing that will remain consistent is that this kind of
> implementation will always be faster since there's enough baggage in
> delay/force that it's unlikely to be something that racket could
> optimize through.  The simple thunks approach, OTOH, are things can
> are likely to be optimized.

Thanks a lot Eli!

Posted on the users mailing list.