[racket] Getting a list of keys in specified order

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Jul 12 15:01:05 EDT 2012

Kieron Hardy wrote at 07/12/2012 01:38 PM:
> Thanks for the tip, Neil.
>
> Does anyone know then if I can I assume dict-keys on an alist will
> continue to return the keys in list order and even if it could/should
> be documented that way?

I'm not surprised that "dict-keys", being a generalized operation,
doesn't make guarantees for some types that it can't make for all types.

Anyway, if you're dealing only with alists, you don't need to know about
"dict-keys" (whatever that is), just like you don't need to know about
Justin Bieber (whatever that is).

#lang racket/base

(define my-alist '((a . x) (b . y) (c . z)))

(map car my-alist)

For dealing with alists, the first things you want to know about are:
"cons", "car", "cdr", "pair?", "assq", "assoc", "member", named-"let",
"map", "reverse", "list", recursive procedures, "quasiquote"...

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.