[racket] filtering syntax

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 18 11:34:33 EST 2012

At Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:53:14 +0100, Marijn wrote:
> So after rewriting for syntax-case, this becomes the below, where I
> have also inserted a call to internal-definition-context-seal which
> was mentioned by the documentation as being required, but causes no
> obvious problems when absent. Should it be used here?

Yes, it should be used.

I think that an error is triggered only if a syntax object with the
relevant context ends up syntax-quoted the output of a macro. That is,
if you remove the call to `internal-definition-context-seal' and change
the ending #'' to #'#' (so that the result of expansion is a `syntax'
form instead of a `quote' form), then the compiler complains.

Even if the compiler has no reason to complain, though, using
`internal-definition-context-seal' can speed macro expansion, since the
expander cannot memoize certain binding calculations if the lexical
context is unsealed.

> #lang racket
>
> (provide dependency-graph)
>
> (require (for-syntax syntax/free-vars))
>
> (define-syntax (dependency-graph stx)
>   (syntax-case stx ()
>     ((_ ((id rule) ...))
>      (let ((ctx (syntax-local-make-definition-context)))
>        (syntax-local-bind-syntaxes (syntax->list #'(id ...)) #f ctx)
>        (internal-definition-context-seal ctx)
>        (with-syntax
>              (map (lambda (expr)
>                     (free-vars
>                      (local-expand expr 'expression '() ctx)))
>                   (syntax->list #'(rule ...)))))

Posted on the users mailing list.