[racket] Racket Google Hits

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 9 20:26:48 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
> Many people have better things to do than worry about our rank in the TIOBE programming languages index.

The `number of results' printed for a Google query is an extraordinarily poor
approximation (it is not much better than a random number).  You can get far
more interesting and useful results from using the Insights for Search tool:

I'm not sure that popularity is a useful measure of technology.
I'm not sure that `number of searches' is a good proxy for popularity.
I'm not sure that the relative number of pages in the Google index is
a good proxy for anything.
What the TIOBE index therefore measures (if it is indeed a measurement
of anything at all) is beyond me.

Posted on the users mailing list.