[racket] scribble -> ePub/mobi?

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 5 01:03:13 EST 2012

On 01/04/2012 09:51 PM, John Clements wrote:
> Has anyone taken a look at generating ePub or mobi documents directly
> from scribble?
>
> As the owner of a Kindle, I can see that pdf/dvi/ps is terrible for
> these kind of on-the-fly reformatting systems. HTML is better, but
> trying to convert the existing HTML for HtDP 2e (I haven't tried
> removing the left contents bar) produces not-great output. I took a
> look for systems that generate ePub and/or mobi from TeX, and didn't
> get a lot of useful hits, which I'm guessing is due to the fact that
> TeX--like pdf etc--is fundamentally about providing control over the
> structure of a page, and not about producing reflow-able output. Has
> anyone taken a look at the cost and/or advantages of generating ePub
> or mobi documents directly from scribble?

Did you see my email on this earlier today? (The thread was
"Documentation in PDF/PS format".)

I think the most reasonable path is to use "scribble --html" with custom
CSS files that make the formatting friendlier for book readers, then to
pass it through Calibre's ebook-convert utility. It would probably make
sense to add some minor hooks to the scribble html renderer so it can
mark the table of contents and chapter breaks appropriately, but that's
all that comes to mind.

Ryan

Posted on the users mailing list.