[racket] the most functional man in the world

From: Norman Gray (norman at astro.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 20 09:36:30 EST 2012

Greetings.

On 2012 Dec 20, at 02:52, Carl Eastlund wrote:

> It is a parody of the ads compiled here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18VkI0uDxE

That's useful to know, but might be a little opaque outside the US, if it's based on an advert sequence shown only there.  Without this clue, the video turns out looking... weird.

And though wanting not to be prissy, the sequence about dating all the girls in the CS department does come over as perhaps a trifle Old Fashioned.  To pull that gag off would require either a pretty damn obvious link to the thing being parodied, or for CS to be so famously gender-neutral that the implied attitude by itself becomes funny, because anomalous.  Though CS will have made progress here (and I speak from a physics department -- a discipline scrupulously addressing its own challenges here), I'm not sure it's quite in that position yet.

Nicely done video, though!

All the best,

Norman

--