[racket] introspecting names and versions of all planet packages used by a program

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Dec 14 23:04:37 EST 2012

Greg Hendershott wrote at 12/14/2012 11:56 AM:
>> The reason I want this is for the About box of an app:
>> "http://i.imgur.com/TofUX.png".
>>
> What does it look like after you tap to expand "Hardware"?

Off-topic for this thread, but: http://postimage.org/image/hnmg5klex/

(Now you know the motivation for
"http://www.neilvandyke.org/racket-cpuinfo/".  Making this little
"cpuinfo" package was overkill for an About box, and this package is not
going to be used by many apps, but I'm trying to build apps of reusable
components (both pre-existing and new), and I'm entitled to overkill on
a hobby project.  Also, I think many people like to see some curious
little goodies when they look at CPAN or PLaneT or whatever, mixed in
with the more general-purpose packages.  Once a package repository gets
populated enough, it should elicit reactions like, "Gosh, not only do
they have good support for all the usual stuff, they even have a package
to [obscure thing likely no one wants to do].")

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.