[racket] disable inlining for recursive functions

From: Vincent St-Amour (stamourv at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 7 11:54:42 EST 2012

At Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:20:12 +0100,
Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:

> Naively, I thought this was a no brainer for the inliner: small
> functions, used only once, no complex control flow.  Why does it gives
> up?
>
> BTW, doing the inlines manually does actually make a difference in the
> total running time, so It would be nice to have this done
> automatically.
>
> (Attached there's the whole, compilable, program).

The upcoming version of Optimization Coach tries to do a better job at
explaining inlining failures. Specifically, I'm working on function
size-related heuristics that look like they may help here.

Could you send me some representative input? I'd like to test the new
Optimization Coach with your program.

Thanks!

Vincent

Posted on the users mailing list.