[racket] disable inlining for recursive functions

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 7 08:08:12 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Tuning the inlining heuristics can easily make this kind of program go
> faster. Turning the inlining heuristics to make this program go faster
> while also not slowing down other programs --- well, that's much more
> difficult. Of all the ways that I've worked on the compiler, experiments
> with the inlining heuristics have felt particularly unrewarding. :)

This is one reason why we created Optimization Coach in the first
place. Now that we know what's not inlined in this program, Pierpaolo
can manually inline the functions that the inliner skips by using
macros, and see if that improves performance.  Without Optimization
Coach, it's hard to even ask the right questions in the first place.

Sam

Posted on the users mailing list.